- New Mains Power page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- Updates to the SPI Protocol page under Electronics->Communication Protocols.
- New Circuit Protection sub-section and PTC Type Thermistor page.
- Updates to the D2PAK (TO-263) Component Package page, with more info on the TO-263 THIN package.
- New 4-20mA Current Loop page, under Electronics->Communication Protocols.
- Updates to the D-sub Connectors page including info about filtered D-sub connectors and the various sizes and shapes of D-sub connectors.
- New Object Orientated C page.
- New Humidity Sensors page.
- New Quantum Platform (QP) page under Programming->Operating Systems.
- Added info about the Dangerous While() Loops Inside The PSoC I2C API, as part of the PSoC->Components page.
- New Dependency Injection page under Programming->Design Patterns.
- New Bit Masking page under Programming->Languages->C.
- Info on the dew point and the Magnus equation added to the Humidity Sensors page.
- New Wire-to-Board page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- New PCB Card Edge page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- New Terminal Blocks page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- New Board-to-Board page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- New Striplines page under PCB Design->Impedance Controlled Routing.
- New DIACs page under Electronics->Components.
- New Light Dimmers page under Electronics->Circuit Design.
- New TRIACs page under Electronics->Components.
- New Optical Isolators page under Electronics->Components.
- New SOT-89 Component Package page under PCB Design->Component Packages.
- New Control Statements page under Programming->Languages->C.
- New Tools section under Electronics.
- New Flux page under Electronics->Tools.
- New Varistors page under Electronics->Components.
- Updates to the Ferrite Beads page.
- Updates to the LEDs page (including the addition of section on pulse extending for LEDs).
- Updates to the SOT-363 Component Package page.
- Updates to the Comparators page.
- New Mouse Bites page under Electronics->PCB Design.
- New D-subminiature page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- New Headers page under Electronics->Components->Connectors.
- Moved the Noise page to the Electronics->Test And Measurement section. Added info about standard deviations and RMS measurements of noise.
- New How To Route USB page under Electronics->Communication Protocols->USB Protocol.
- Moved all of the Atmel microcontroller pages under a new Atmel parent page.
- New AVRDUDE page under Programming->Microcontrollers->Atmel.
- New PCB Surface Finishes page under PCB Design.
- New GCC Compiler Optimisation Levels page, under Programming->Compilers->GCC.
- New SOT-346 Component Package page.
- Section on low-pass LC filters added to the “Passive Filters” page.
- New RS-485 Protocol page under Communication Protocol.s
- Updates under the Addressing section of the I2C Communication Protocol page on I2C address pins present on slave devices.
- Tidied up the PSoC page.
- New Schematic Tips And Tricks page under PCB Design.
- Added information about the MTA-100 colour codes to the Connectors page.
- Added information about the SOT-23-8 package to the SOT-23 component package page.
- New Tips And Tricks page under Programming->Languages->C.
- New Testpoints page under PCB Design.
- Tidied up the PCB Design page.
- New SOD-923 Component Package page.
- New TO-5 Component Package page.
- New RS-232 Protocol page under Electronics->Communication Protocols.
- New Fans page under Electronics->Components.
- New PCIe Hardware Design Guide sub-page of the PCIe page.
- Moved the IGBT and MOSFET pages so they are child pages of the Transistors. page.
- Added new Bipolar Junction Transistors (BJTs) page as a child page of Transistors.
- New Smart Pointers page added under Programming->Languages->C++.
- New design guide for the Xilinx 7 Series FPGAs.
- Updates to the Transformer page.
- New theme, twentyfifteen! (Avada was getting too complicated)
- Added information on adding comments (well, pseudo comments) to JSON files on the JSON page.
- Moved all the op-amp schematic diagrams on the Op-Amp page over to Overleaf, the online Latex editor.
- New General Routing Tips page.
- Information on Aspect Ratios added to the Pads, Vias and Holes page.
- Information on Microvias added to the Pads, Vias and Holes page.
- Added information to the PCI Express (PCIe) page.
- New FPGAs sub-section under Electronics->Components.
- New Xilinx 7 Series (Artix-7, Kintex-7, Virtex-7, Zynq-7000) page.
- New Logic Families page.
Certain pages around this website where not displaying source code correctly. I was using Crayon Syntax Highlighter to style the code. Instead of nicely formatted code like this:
I was left with Crayon shortcodes in the form
It seemed that shortcodes with the form [crayon-592919a1829a6535459154-55a318c46df22443583779/] were somehow not being processed (it might be that all shortcodes were not being processed, I did not test any others).
After about 5 long hours I managed to hunt down the cause, this single line in wp-content/plugins/sb_child_list.php (line 352 in the sb_cl_render_child_list() function):
$template = str_replace('[post_excerpt]', sb_cl_get_the_excerpt($p->ID), $template);
If this line of code happened to be called on a particular page because I had used the [sb_child_list] shortcode, and it had added links to child pages which hadn’t had manual excerpts added, this would stop Crayon Syntax Highlighter code blocks from rendering correctly further down the page (leaving me with text like [crayon-592919a1829c3091353976-55a318c46df22443583779/] as explained above).
I tested all this on a development server with a fresh install of WordPress and just these two plugins installed, so that rules out any older version incompatibilities or other plugin interaction issues.
I could comment out that perpetrating line in sb_child_list.php, but then page excerpts would not be rendered correctly. So the current workaround is to make sure that all pages have a manual excerpt added (this problem doesn’t occur if the child pages have manual excerpts.
I have opened an issue on the SB Child List’s GitHub repository.
Note: This issue also occurs when using a different code highlighter, and/or a different child pages list plugin (there a quite a few out there)! Suggesting that it may not be a bug specific to SB Child List.
I purchased the Avada theme for US$58 a few months ago, mainly because I was looking to “get with the cool kids” and start using a responsive theme that would looks good on both phones and tablets as well as the standard computer screen. I specifically went with Avada because it was the most popular paid for theme on ThemeForest (I was a sheep in that regard).
However, I soon became pretty disappointed with Avada. The built-in defaults were not that good at all, and when it came to tweaking it (with a child theme of course) everything turned into a nightmare because of the theme’s complicated, deeply nested and non-intuitive folder structure., along with it’s complicated PHP files which are riddled with very specific, nested if/else if/else statements.
Attempting to change anything ended up taking 5x as long as it really should of. After a few months of wrestling with the Avada monster I decided it was time to go simple.
The Twenty Fifteen theme (the default WordPress theme in 2015) offered me the simplicity I needed. Apart from looking great out of the box, it has been simple (so far) to add and modify a child theme for it.
The folder structure is simple, and the added features both powerful and good looking but well integrated. The biggest issue I will have with converting will be trying to fit wide elements onto the relatively narrow (approx. 630px) post-content space, when viewing on a computer screen. This includes some of the bigger calculators such as the PCB Track Current Capability (IPC-2152) calculator.